I know this is a little late but here are my top 5 albums of 2009.
1. Mumford & Sons: Sigh No More / they combine bluegrass with rock to produce an amazing sound…it always builds into an emotional frenzy and the lyrics are brilliant (First song to listen to: The Cave)
2. The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You / piano and banjo ballads…can’t go wrong here (First song: I and Love and You)
3. Regina Spektor: Far / a russian-american who always has a knack for writing songs that make you laugh, and then stop and think (First song: Eet)
4. Phoenix: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix / as itunes describes it: carefree, buoyant pop, full of snapping tom drums, percolating guitars, and melodic hooks (First song: 1901)
5. Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion / never thought this one would be on the top 5 but their strange sound grows on you…beach boys influenced vocals and some techno ambient sounds create a unique experience. (First song to listen to: My Girls)
Noteable: The Low Anthem (can’t put it on there because I have not bought it yet) and Muse: The Resistance